Insider's guide: Working in Canada as an International Student.

Blog Image

Part-time work can help pay for your studies

Coming to Canada as an international student is an exciting opportunity, but it can also be financially demanding. Besides covering tuition, rent, and groceries, you may also want to enjoy your time in the country by going out with friends and exploring more of Canada. To make your time in Canada more affordable, working part-time while studying is a great option. Not only does it provide financial support, but it also gives you a head start in the Canadian job market.

Here's what you need to know when it comes to applying for part-time work in Canada with the assistance of Viapply Immigration Consultants

Obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN):

Regardless of whether you are a citizen, permanent resident, or international student, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. It is advisable to apply for a SIN through the federal government before arriving in Canada.

Understand job restrictions:

As an international student, there are certain conditions and restrictions to consider. For instance, you can only begin working when the school semester starts. While you can start searching for a job upon your arrival in Canada, you won't be able to commence work until then.

However, there is good news. The Canadian government has temporarily lifted one of the restrictions on international students. Previously, students were limited to working 20 hours per week during the school term. However, this limit has been eliminated since November 15, 2022, until the end of 2023. This change allows students to take on more shifts, but it is crucial to balance work commitments with your studies.

To waive the 20-hour limit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Hold a valid study permit.
  • Study full-time (or part-time during your final academic session).
  • Have your study permit application (or study permit extensions) received by IRCC on or before October 7, 2022.
  • Possess a study permit with a condition allowing you to work off campus.

Explore on-campus job opportunities:

Universities, colleges, and student unions often require additional staff during the academic year. They offer various on-campus positions, such as working in cafes, bookstores, or providing administrative support to the university. These jobs have the advantage of convenient locations and are accustomed to accommodating students' class schedules. Check your school's website or inquire at their work-study office for more information.

If you are pursuing a master's program, consider seeking teaching assistant (TA) positions, which typically offer good pay and flexibility to accommodate your studies.

Manage your expectations:

It is important to set realistic expectations when seeking part-time employment as an international student in Canada. Due to limitations on working hours and your class schedule, finding a job directly related to your field of study may be challenging. You may find yourself working evenings and weekends in restaurants, grocery stores, or warehouses. While these jobs are perfectly respectable, it is unlikely that you will find part-time work as a software engineer while studying.

Fulfill your tax obligations:

Having a job in Canada means you will need to file your taxes. Even though income tax is automatically deducted from most paychecks, you are still required to submit year-end paperwork to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). For detailed information on taxes for international students, refer to the CRA's website.

Be aware of your rights:

Unfortunately, there have been instances of employers exploiting international students who are unaware of their rights under Canadian laws. Employment standards regarding minimum wage, breaks, and working conditions are regulated by each province. If you suspect that your employer is taking advantage of you, Viapply Immigration Consultants advises you to file a claim with your province's ministry of labour. It's essential to know your rights and protect yourself from any potential exploitation.

At Viapply Immigration Consultants, we understand the challenges international students face when seeking part-time work in Canada. Our experienced team can guide you through the process, ensuring you meet all the necessary requirements and make informed decisions. We provide comprehensive support with visa applications, work permits, and job placement assistance tailored to your specific needs.

Working part-time while studying in Canada not only helps alleviate financial burdens but also enhances your overall experience by providing valuable work experience and exposure to the Canadian job market. It allows you to develop important skills, build a professional network, and gain a deeper understanding of the local work culture.

If you're ready to explore part-time work opportunities in Canada as an international student, Viapply Immigration Consultants is here to assist you every step of the way.

Contact us today to start your journey towards a successful and rewarding academic and professional experience in Canada.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this blog is based on the general guidelines and regulations available at the time of writing. Please note that immigration policies and work permit regulations may change over time, and it's crucial to stay updated with the latest information from official government sources or consult with a reputable immigration consultant or lawyer. Viapply Immigration Consultants is not responsible for any changes in policies or regulations after the publication of this blog.